At Avenue Animal Hospital, you will find the care, support and guidance you are looking for to ensure your pet’s final days are peaceful and gentle for your pet and your family. Facing the final days of your pet’s life is an emotional journey filled with many questions and decisions. We are here to assist and support you through this important but difficult time.
Hospice care for pets is an alternative to premature euthanasia or prolonged hospitalization for aggressive treatments. Hospice Care is about living. It is about loving your pet and enjoying the time you have left together to the fullest extent. This is a service provided for pets facing a terminal diagnosis or families facing the inevitable loss of their pet due to age (within a short period of time). Patient care is customized to the needs of your pet and your family.
Hospice care can help improve the quality of life for your cat or dog during the last times of their life. It is not intended to be a life extension. Pet hospice care is about keeping your dog or cat comfortable by treating pain and giving your family the tools to care for them. It is about the family as a whole, and the bond that exists between animals and the people who love them. (human-animal bond).
Some of the issues that Hospice Care can address:
- Pain - Our doctors are experienced in managing different types of pain / discomfort.
- Nausea and Appetite Stimulation
- Hygiene - Incontinence and elimination issues are common
- Mobility Issues
- Stress Management
- Quality of Life Assessment
- End of Life Counseling - Issues surrounding your pet's death, whether through natural course or humane euthanasia can be discussed.
- Aftercare Arrangements- Cremation / burial options. Private cremation and clay paw memorial are offered.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions about Hospice Care.